You already know that ridesharing with SideCar is the safest, greenest and most fun way to get around Boston, NYC and Washington, DC. At the touch of a smartphone button, our friendly drivers are ready to take you wherever you need to go — what could be better than that?
Starting today, SideCar is also free in these cities. Heading to the BoSox game? Free. Hitting up karaoke at Recessions? Free. Need a ride home to Brooklyn, NOVA, Brookline or Silver Spring? That’s right, totally FREE.
Why would we do such an (awesome) thing, you ask?
- First of all, we want to reward you, our incredible communities for the warm welcome we’ve received in our newest cities. Your support makes all the difference in helping us get the word out that SideCar is a safe and fun way to get around town, meet new people and take more cars off the road.
- Secondly, we’re actively meeting with officials in these cities to educate them on the environmental, economic and community benefits of rideshare. While these meetings are underway, we’ve decided to make SideCar free so everyone has the opportunity to try SideCar and experience the joy of rideshare.
- Last, we want you to try SideCar! Free is a great incentive to give rideshare a spin for the first time. Once you’ve taken a ride with SideCar, we know you’ll love it so much you’ll ride with us again and again.
SideCar is reinventing transportation and making it better for the environment, better for people’s wallets and most of all, FUN! So start planning your weekend now, and be sure to let your friends know that you’ll all be traveling in style this weekend… FREE style, that is:
The Boston, NYC & DC SideCar Teams
It is almost the weekend Seattle, and one blizzard of a weekend it is about to be! Well, at least for the 6,000 folks joining me and 162,000 lbs. of fresh, mountain snow in Seattle Center for Snow Day! I already know you’re taking a SideCar there, but don’t forget to drop in to the SideCar Lounge located in the Next 50 Pavilion to say “HEY-O!” to our team and take some photos in our photo booth. You’ll definitely want to catch up with me on Twitter as well so you can stay looped in since there is so much going down on Saturday. New riders use the promo code SNOWDAY for $10 in ride credit!
Since tickets to Snow Day have officially sold out, I’ve locked in a whole bunch of prizes for all of y’all that didn’t grab a ticket in time, too. All you have to do for a shot at winning is to ride with us this Saturday! THAT IS HOW MUCH I HEART YOU!
So here’s wassup: Every SideCar ride you take this Saturday (12a – 11:59p) = 1x your name gets entered to score some seriously rad prizes. That means the power to win is in your hands – the more rides you take, the better shot you have a winning! I’ll tally up your rides and put ‘em all in a hat, then draw winners next week. Ride. Win. Yay!
- A “Hooligan” beanie from our fam over at Rich Kids Brand (I’ve got more than one of these to share!)
- Tickets to shake it… but waaaaatch ya’self… with Mystikal, Dyme Def & more at NEUMOS on 1/24! Our pal DJ Swervewon is opening up so come early & come ready to dance
- We also got our hands on some Red Bull Records and “Wear the Trail Ends” merch from our friends at Red Bull Seattle
- A pair of tickets to the annual Dancing on the Valentine benefit for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society at NEUMOS on 2/9 sponsored by our very special friends at City Arts
- Our rockstar friends Ben Union have got a signed poster and a copy of their new album for someone special
- AND a few boxes of very delicious and nutritious KIND snack bars
To make it extra sweet, the SideCar rider who takes the most total rides on Saturday will get $50 in ride credit and one of our brand spankin’ new t-shirts! We’ve got a whole bunch of rad, local drivers ready to get you around safely this weekend so start making those Saturday plans.
Until next time, #RideOn!
P.S. Need somewhere to take your SideCar on Saturday night? Set your location drop to the Crocodile in Belltown where those wild and crazy Ben Union boys are celebrating the release of their latest album with a live show and a whole lotta whiskey. I’m heading there after Snow Day for sure. Tickets are still available, cop yours online here! You drink and we’ll drive.
*See that glowing marquee up top? You can check it out in person at Snow Day. It was made just for us by Seattle TaskRabbit Madeline R.
The SideCar welcome here in Seattle these last couple months has been so warm I feel like I’m wrapped up in a Pendleton all day, err’day! I mean it – we might be the new kids on the block but we’re growing like crazy! As I was writing the NYE event post I stopped and asked myself: “Alex, before this season of giving is through, what more can SideCar do for the beautiful people of Seattle who have so embraced their new role as rideshare revolutionaries?” (Yes, my thoughts really are that long.)
My answer? Give ‘em the chance to win enough ride credits to cover their gettin’ around on NYE!
Getting around the Town (Macklemore shout out!) on this annual night of champagne and confetti can be quite the drag, and there’s no way you’re gonna want to drive yourself, but now that we’re here the game has changed. Not only can you use your SideCar app to get a cool, affordable and safe ride on demand, but we want you to win free ride credits on NYE!
Here’s how YOU can win:
- Follow @SideCarSEA on Twitter
- Use your app to request a ride with us as you head out and/or head home on NYE
- Then, once you’re SideCar-ing around & gettin’ it, use the hashtag #RideOnSEA to tell us WHERE SideCar will take you in 2013!
- I will pick the top 5 winning tweets (cool, funny, inspiring, interesting, green, etc. so make it good!) every hour from 6pm – 2am.
- Winning tweets will get credits in their account on January 1st that match the donation they made for their ride. Sweeet!
**Note: Since SideCar rides are fueled by community and donations, the credits prize works like this… winners will get fresh, new credits dropped in their accounts on January 1st that match the donation given for the ride they were in when they tweeted. That means you’ll still need to close out (donate & rate your driver) at the end of your ride. From there we’ll handle the rest! Got questions? Tweet ’em at me – I’m listening. And PS, this only works in Seattle folks!
Have fun, be safe & Ride On this New Year’s Eve!
Alex, your Seattle City Manager
Last week we wrapped our First Annual #SideCarSanta Drive for Toys. Thanks to our amazing rideshare community, we donated over 250 toys to kids in need this year in San Francisco and Seattle!
And, as promised, we are giving iPad Minis to the rider & driver in the #SideCarSanta photo with the most Instagram likes. This year the winners are: @monfineis and @eric_n_northbeach! Here’s the winning photo:
To check out all the photos from this year’s Drive for Toys, click here.
Thanks again to all who participated and Happy Holidays!
The SideCar Team
The holiday spirit is in full effect at SideCar, and we’d like you to help us give back to the community through our first annual Drive for Toys. How many toys are we giving away? Well, that’s entirely up to you!
How it works: Don a Santa’s cap*, snap a photo with your SideCar driver/rider, post it to Instagram tagging #SideCarSanta, and we’ll donate a toy for every tagged photo to a child in need. Share your photos to Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr too because the driver/rider combo in the photo with the most Instagram likes will each get a shiny new iPad Mini!
*Holiday flair is optional but definitely encouraged.
The SideCar Drive for Toys kicks off today and ends at 11:59pm December 20. The iPad Mini winners will be announced December 24 here on our blog. Come take a ride with us, have fun and make this holiday season extra special for kids!
For more information on how we’re donating, or to donate directly, visit:
The SideCar Team
*(update 12.12): The tree is getting awfully crowded at SideCar HQ!
With new drivers coming online every week, we’re on track to welcome “Driver 500” real soon. To celebrate, we’re offering $500 in SideCar ride credit to anyone who refers the lucky 500th driver!
Here’s how you do it:
- Send your friends to www.side.cr/fivehundo
- During the video interview, Jeff will ask “How did you hear about us?” Make sure your friends drop your name!
- Kick back and wait. If your friend is accepted as SideCar’s 500th San Francisco driver, we’ll drop $500 in SideCar ride credit right into your account!
And if your friends are wondering how awesome it really is to drive for SideCar, just show them this video.
And remember, when you drive with SideCar, you do it whenever you want. We don’t set schedules and you get to rock your own style. It’s the way community should be.
Thanks and good luck!
And while you’re at it, don’t forget we’re offering $100 credits for any Seattle driver referrals who drive during the month of November!
It is with incredible excitement that we announce a new addition to the SideCar family:
To celebrate our upcoming Seattle launch (and spread some love) we’ve put together a little offer for our favorite peeps in the world, you:
Refer a Seattle driver and receive $100 in SideCar ride credit if they drive during the month of November.
Okay, awesome. “So, how do I get my money?!”
- Send your Seattle pals to www.side.cr/seadrive
- During the video interview, Jeff will ask, “How did you hear about us?” Make sure your friends drop your name!
- Kick back and wait for them to give their first ride. Once they do, we’ll set you up with $100 in ride credit*
It’s that simple. We look forward to bringing the SideCar magic to your friends in The Emerald City!
The SideCar Team
PS: To get a glimpse of how awesome it is to drive for SideCar, check this out.
*In order to redeem credits, your referred driver must pass SideCar’s vetting and activation process and give at least one ride in Seattle before November 30, 2012. Credits will be applied directly to your SideCar account. You must have a SideCar account to receive credits.
To celebrate two awesome personalization features in our latest app update (Choose a Driver & Block a Driver/Passenger), we’re launching a sweet challenge this weekend, and you can win $50 in SideCar Credit if you complete it! All you have to do is complete rides with 6 unique SideCar community drivers between Friday (8/3) and Sunday (8/5).
Here’s how it works:
- Install the latest update for the SideCar app
- Tap “Offers” on the menu screen and then tap the 6 Driver Challenge!
- Enter your phone # and the promo code: NEWFRIENDS
- Use our new “Choose a Driver” feature to hand-select your drivers when you request rides
- Complete 6 rides from 6 different drivers between Friday at 6am (8/3) and Sunday at midnight (8/5)
- Get your sweet $50 SideCar credit and make a few friends in the process!
Who said getting around isn’t fun?